Boston Cyclists Union: Board Member Job Description
Purpose: Provide governance to the Boston Cyclists Union organization, stewarding and protecting its mission, while representing the organization to the community and accepting ultimate legal authority for it.
Mission: We’re helping Bostonians lead healthier lives by promoting the everyday use of the bicycle for transportation.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Review management’s performance in achieving organization’s strategic objectives
- Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Oversight of strategic planning and priorities
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
- Approve major policies.
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of the Boston Cyclists Union. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
- Elect, monitor, appraise, advise, support, reward, and, when necessary, change top management.
- Be assured that management succession is properly being provided.
- Be assured that the status of organizational strength and manpower planning is equal to the requirements of the long range goals.
- Approve appropriate compensation and benefit policies and practices.
- Propose a slate of directors to members and fill vacancies as needed.
- Annually approve the Performance Review of the Executive Director and establish his/her compensation based on recommendations of the Governance Committee and President of the Board.
- Determine eligibility for and appoint Board Committees in response to recommendations of the Governance Committee.
- Annually review the performance of the Board and take steps to improve its performance.
- Drive the development of a strategic plan that identifies budget requirements, and then determine appropriate fundraising goals.
- Develop fundraising priorities, policies and approaches.
- Target, rate and approach potential donors.
- Contribute an amount of personal significance (and ensure achievement of 100% Board give).
- Monitor and evaluate fundraising campaigns.
- Be assured that the Board and its committees are adequately and currently informed – through reports and other methods – of the condition of the organization and its operations.
- Be assured that published reports properly reflect the operating results and financial condition of the organization.
- Ascertain that management has established appropriate policies to define and identify conflicts of interest throughout the organization, and is diligently administering and enforcing those policies.
- Review compliance with relevant material laws affecting the organization.
- Passion for the mission of the organization;
- Minimum of one year’s experience as a volunteer for the organization, preferably on a Board committee, or similar experience in a like organization;
- Documented commitment to execute the role and responsibilities of Board member for this organization;
- Absence of any conflict of interest with the organization;
- Willingness and ability to play a leadership role in this organization.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets monthly, generally on the fourth Monday of the month, 7:00 p.m. Meetings typically last two hours.
- Committees of the board meet an average of twelve times per year, pending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are asked to attend no more than two special events or meetings per year, as they are determined.
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on a standing committee of the Board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by the Boston Cyclist Union’s mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote the Boston Cyclist Union’s mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with Boston Cyclist Union finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of the Boston Cyclist Union.
- Financially support the Boston Cyclist Union in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.