The Membership and Events Coordinator manages the Boston Cyclists Union’s rapidly growing membership and volunteer programs. They manage the Union’s donor database, plan and execute member recruitment and retention strategies, create communication strategies and content, assist in planning fundraising events, and collaborate with staff and partners to explore other fundraising opportunities. Through this work they fulfill the Bike Union’s goals of growing and supporting our membership, and building the bike community and the network of bike-friendly businesses in the Boston area.
About the Boston Cyclists Union
The Boston Cyclists Union is helping Bostonians lead healthier lives by promoting the everyday use of the bicycle for transportation. Among other things, we teach bike repair, educate new riders, and organize neighborhood residents who would like to voice support for friendlier street designs, bike paths, and public spaces.
Our fast-growing, 1,200+ member grassroots organization is one of the most active and effective advocacy groups in the city. The Bike Union’s work is helping to increase ridership in Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, and Somerville. We work to connect our neighborhoods, parks, paths and business districts with a network of low-stress bike routes including quiet neighborhood streets and protected bike lanes so that anyone, from an 8-year old child to an 80-year old will feel safe and comfortable riding a bike.
- Manage Salesforce database and process new memberships, manage customer information input into Constant Contact, update membership information regularly
- Coordinate volunteer nights to send membership letters and member appeals
- Develop and execute strategies to retain and recruit new members, including creating membership and budget goals
- Collect and analyze historic and survey data to evaluate and refine existing membership programs
- Assist staff in planning and executing annual fundraising events
- Create written and visual content for our website, newsletters, action alerts and social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) (requires familiarity with WordPress or willingness to learn)
- Lead the Union Events Team and dedicated volunteers to execute Bike Union programs and events, for example: Bike-in Movies, Winter Biking Clinics & Socials and Bike Breakfasts
- Develop and manage business and employer membership and member discount programs in conjunction with the Development Committee and volunteers
- Create organization-wide themes, talking points and messaging across programs, events, and membership materials
- Perform data entry and other tasks as assigned, related to non-profit administration
- Some evening and weekend work will be expected and required
- Deep commitment to the Boston Cyclists Union’s mission
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to track and execute tasks reliably
- Experience with direct mail and email campaign marketing
- Knowledge and experience using Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media
- Organized, and detail oriented
- Demonstrated track record of successful project planning and setting and reaching goals
- Professional, positive, friendly demeanor
- Desire and ability to implement systems that will allow you to scale your work quickly and significantly reach more people
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Preferred working knowledge of customer management systems, email marketing and creative tools such as Salesforce, Constant Contact, Vertical Response, WordPress, and/or Adobe Creative Suite
- Commitment to working respectfully with individuals of different races, socioeconomic backgrounds, and life experiences
- 2+ years experience in a similar field
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Bilingual abilities are a plus, but not required
This is an ideal position for someone seeking a career in bike advocacy, program management or non-profit administration.
Starting salary is $32,000-$36,000. We are a small, extremely fast-growing non-profit and strong performance will be rewarded as our budget allows. This is a full-time, exempt position. Benefits also include a $200 monthly health care stipend, a tax-deductible bicycle commuter benefit, two weeks of paid vacation, and a commitment to training and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
Send a compelling cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Membership and Events Coordinator, YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We strongly encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Boston Cyclists Union is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.