The Bicycle Mechanic works with the Bike Union’s Lead Mechanic to provide high-quality bike repair through our Bike to Market program. They also encourage participants to learn basic bike repair and maintenance skills. The bike mechanic will develop strong relationships with volunteers, staff and interns who support the program, and be part of a small and passionate team working to make bicycling accessible to all ages and abilities across Boston.
Hours: Between 15-25 hours per week from summer to early fall
Reports to: Boston Cyclists Union, Director of Organizing
About the Boston Cyclists Union and Bike to Market Program
The Boston Cyclists Union (BCU) helps Bostonians lead healthier lives by promoting the everyday use of the bicycle for transportation. We do this through organizing and advocating for better bike infrastructure at a local and regional level, offering free bike repair and teaching bike repair, and building community through rides and events. Our fast-growing, 1,200+ member grassroots organization is one of the most active and effective transportation advocacy groups in Metro Boston.
The Bike to Market program works hand-in-hand with BCU’s community organizing. It allows us to provide a concrete and immediate service to people, while also having the opportunity to engage them in our organizing work. In this regard, there are a variety of goals of the Bike to Market program: (1) Provide free bike repair and reduced-cost parts to Boston residents who have limited access to bike shops so that people can get on working bikes — more cyclists make for safer roads! (2) Inform and engage Bike to Market participants in BCU’s organizing and advocacy work (3) Bring Bike to Market participants into the organization as members and/or volunteers to help build our base and our power to enact change.
- Conduct bike repair at pop up events throughout Boston
- Teach basic bike repair to Bike to Market participants
- Support and train volunteers and interns who are helping with bike repair and/or tabling at Bike to Market.
- Identify and encourage Bike to Market participants to volunteer with the BCU and/or become members. Encourage volunteers and interns to recruit new volunteers and members as well.
- Work with Lead Mechanic to maintain organized, efficient systems for tracking inventory and transporting equipment
- Occasional reporting on how many participants have been served through the Bike to Market program
- Deep commitment to the Boston Cyclists Union’s mission.
- Minimum 1 year experience as a professional bike mechanic.
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Excellent communicator with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Experience and interest in working with youth a plus.
- Language abilities in Spanish, Cape Verdean Creole, Haitian Creole, Chinese or Vietnamese a plus.
Hourly pay is $13-$16 based on experience with a guaranteed minimum of 15 hours per week. A typical week is 15-20 hours. This is a part-time, seasonal position from the end of June to end of September. Exact start and end date flexible.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Bike Mechanic, YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We strongly encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Boston Cyclists Union is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.