We understand that fundraising, obtaining the right gear, and training for the ride may be barriers to participating in Bos/treal. We want this trip of a lifetime to be accessible to everyone, which is why we’ll award a minimum of two scholarships to ensure participation from riders who might otherwise be unable to join and complete the ride.
We require all riders to fundraise to spread awareness about the Bike Union. However, scholarship riders are only required to make a $25 deposit to secure a spot on the team, and to then raise a total of $250 (including the deposit) vs. the standard fundraising total of $1,800. Please note: Nearly all food, lodging, and travel costs are covered for the 7-day duration of the trip!
If a scholarship would make the difference between signing up or staying home, or if you know someone else who would benefit and would love to participate, let us know!
This program is being administered by the Boston Cyclists Union (BCU) to help select additional team members for the organization’s Bos/treal cycling event happening May 23 – May 30, 2020. For information on the Bike Union, click here.
Riders must be at least 18 years old and fulfill all program requirements (as listed below) to receive scholarship benefits. However, a person of any age may nominate someone — including oneself — to be a BCU “Everybody Rides! Bos/treal Scholarship” recipient.
Nominees must not already be registered for Bos/treal 2020 at the time of nomination.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES
You may nominate as many potential riders as you like (including yourself) through valid, repeat submission of our Nomination Form.
Nominations must be received by end of day, Sunday, March 15, 2020.
– By providing their personal information, Nominators agree to be contacted by BCU or its representatives with respect to their nomination.
– Nominators also understand that Nominees may be contacted as necessary (using the information provided by the Nominator) throughout the judging process and for selection notification.
– Due to the potential high volume of nominations, only nominees selected for consideration will be contacted.
A panel of judges comprised of BCU Staff and Board Members will select scholarship recipients from among the Nominees submitted through our Nomination form. Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- The response to the prompt, “Tell us how you/your nominee for our ‘Everybody Rides! Bos/treal Scholarship’ might benefit from this life-changing experience.”
- Any possible follow-up communication BCU or its representatives may have with the Nominator or Nominee. Note: contact will likely only occur in the event where some clarification is needed.
There will be at least two (2) selected participants chosen as “Everybody Rides!” scholarship recipients via the Nominating process (as described above).
Selected participants will be chosen by March 30, 2020, and notified within a few days of their selection.
Selected participants will receive the following:
- Registration discount for Bos/treal ($75 value)
- $1,550 toward the $1,800 fundraising requirement for participation in Bos/treal. These funds will be given directly to BCU from a 3rd party donor. The rider will be responsible for raising the remaining $250 (including the registration fee) to reach the $1,800 fundraising goal, and will receive support to do so.
- Assistance in securing a bike and other equipment for the ride. This help will be of a consultative nature. However, there may also be material assistance given if sponsorship money or in-kind contributions become available for this purpose.
- Guidance in physically preparing for the event, including invitations to official team training rides and a mentor to individually coach the rider in preparation for the ride, if desired.
- One-year Boston Cyclists Union membership ($50 value).
- During the ride, nearly all food, lodging and transportation costs are covered for all riders.
To collect their benefits, all selected participants must do the following:
1) Accept their selection as an “Everybody Rides!” scholarship in writing via email or verbally via telephone within 5 days of notification.
2) Register for Bos/treal 2020
3) Comply with all rules and requirements of Bos/treal.
4) Meet the fundraising minimum amount of $250 required of scholarship recipients. (The remaining $1,550 of the $1,800 is covered as part of the scholarship). We encourage scholarship riders to fundraise this minimum as opposed to paying for it out of pocket, as this helps meet the ride’s mission to spread awareness about the Boston Cyclists Union and our work.
5) Bring all necessary equipment required by Bos/treal. See here for more information. Note that BCU will help secure equipment (on loan) for scholarship recipients in a collaborative effort. During the ride, scholarship recipients will be responsible for taking good care of any borrowed equipment. It will be the responsibility of the scholarship recipient to pay for repair or replacement of any damaged equipment on loan.
6) Participate in Bos/treal 2020. This consists of 5 days of riding, ranging from 50-100 miles each day, totaling 400 miles, at your own pace. BCU ensures that you’ll have a buddy to ride with, no matter your pace!
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
Selected Participants will be required to release the Boston Cyclists Union (BCU), BCU’s staff and board members, ride sponsors and Scholarship sponsors, and volunteer event planners from any liability arising from any aspect of being selected as a “Everybody Rides!” Scholarship recipient including participation in Bos/treal 2020.
Questions? Contact Jon at email@example.com or Becca at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fill out the nomination and help spread the word about this exciting opportunity!