Now Hiring: Events Coordinator
The Events Coordinator plays a central role in managing the Boston Cyclists Union’s (BCU) membership, fundraising events, and volunteer activities. They help plan and execute fundraising events, like Biketoberfest and Bostreal; help maintain our database of 12,000+ contacts; grow the organization’s membership by developing and implementing strategies for recruitment, engagement, and retention; collaborate with staff and partners to explore other fundraising and development opportunities; and support the organization more broadly through managing some administrative tasks. Through this work, they will fulfill the BCU’s goals of growing the network of people who bike or want to bike in Greater Boston, and expanding our base of support from individuals, businesses and organizations.
About the Boston Cyclists Union
Our mission is to transform the streets of Greater Boston into equitable and inviting people-centered spaces affording access and connection for every body. We accomplish this through organizing, advocacy, public actions, and holding city and state agencies accountable to build out the network of safe, protected bike infrastructure. In addition, we provide and teach free bike repair at farmers markets, and hold events to support and grow the bike community.
Our 1,000+ member grassroots organization is one of the most active and effective transportation advocacy groups in Metro Boston. The Boston Cyclists Union works to increase ridership in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, and Brookline. We aim to connect our homes, parks, schools, paths and business districts with a network of low-stress bike routes, including quiet neighborhood streets and protected bike lanes, so that people of all ages and abilities can feel safe and comfortable riding a bike. We see our organizing as connected to other issues of environmental justice, mobility justice, and housing justice. Recognizing that systemic racism and inequities have impacted how our cities are built and how projects continue to be prioritized, we advocate for an equitable distribution of resources and safe cycling infrastructure throughout Boston.
• Develop metrics for tracking, analyzing and optimizing fundraising
• Solicit in-kind donations and cash sponsorships from businesses in support of events and programs
• Coordinate content creation, printing and mailing of annual year-end appeal with print house and other staff
• Create written and visual content for our website, newsletters, action alerts and social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
• Work with membership survey results to evaluate and refine existing membership programs and benefits
• Perform data entry and other administrative and office management tasks
• Commitment to the Boston Cyclists Union’s mission, vision and values
• Experience planning and executing events, including volunteer management
• Organized and detail oriented, with the ability to track and execute tasks reliably
• Desire to work as part of a team, including group reflection, receiving and giving feedback and honoring the strengths/passions of all team members
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently and ask for help when needed
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Google Sheets
• Working knowledge of EveryAction, WordPress, Asana, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite or other design software is desired but not required
• Excellent communicator with people from diverse backgrounds
• Bilingual abilities are a plus, but not required
Salary / Benefits
Salary is $42,000 to $46,000 commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Benefits include health and dental insurance offerings (including 100% health insurance employer contribution for individuals), retirement plan with employer match, two weeks of paid vacation in the first year (with subsequent increases) along with paid federal holidays and 5 personal days, reimbursement for cell phone use, and a commitment to training and professional development opportunities. During COVID, staff are working from home with an allowance; post COVID there is flexibility for a mix of working in the office and from home if desired.
How to Apply
Send a compelling cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include "Events Coordinator, YOUR NAME" in the subject line of the email, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We strongly encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. LGBTQI and BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) are strongly encouraged to apply.
Boston Cyclists Union is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.